Harry Dresden, Chicago’s only professional wizard and the main character of Jim Butcher’s massively popular series, The Dresden Files. You might think that the wizarding life is all amazing. After all, Harry can call up fire when he needs it, battle an army of zombies while riding on a t-rex, use the Nevernever as a shortcut to anywhere in the world, light candles without a match and become invisible behind a veil.
But even with all his cool powers, there are downsides to being Dresden:
· He doesn’t get to own (or even be around) and of the latest gadgets. The energy surrounding a wizard makes electronics get all wonky. No new iPhone for Harry!
· He must wear his full-length leather duster, even on a scorching hot summer day because of the protection spells attached to it.
· Because he doesn’t have a water heater, Harry only takes cold showers. Brrrr!
· Everyone and everything, including trolls, vampires, demons and gruffs, want to kill him, so he is constantly being chased, shot at and attacked.
· His love-life is complicated with vampires, faeries, a cop, and an apprentice who wants Harry to do more than just teach her magic.
· As the appointed warden of Demonreach, an island prison for the worst and most powerful evil beings, Dresden gets stuck guarding the place.
· The White Council of wizards is always breathing down his neck and watching everything he does hoping to catch him breaking council laws.
· His beloved car, the Blue Beetle, is in the shop more than out because of all the damage it gets on a weekly basis.
But even with all Dresden has to endure, he continues to keep Chicago safe from supernatural beings and live his life (except for that one time he became a ghost for a while…). After 15 books and a six-year hiatus, the next book in the Dresden Files series, Peace Talks, will be released this summer. Woo hoo! Fans everywhere (including me) are excited to see what predicaments Harry will get into next.